Courgettes have seen a massive rise in popularity in the last year or so with the explosion of the spiralizer (vegetable noodle maker). Being a fan of all things vegetable related I thoroughly welcome this as I remember a time when string of bad ratatouille and vegetarian lasagnes left even me with less than favourable thoughts towards this wonderful foodstuff.
Now comes a revelation…..I personally do not enjoy ‘courgetti’ AKA courgette spaghetti. I find it becomes soggy when combined with a hot sauce and mono-textured food is not my thing, I need a bit of crunch in my lunch!
The following recipe is super easy, requires no more gadgetry than a normal cheese grater and can be whipped up in under 10 minutes for a great meal at anytime of day or pared down for an awesome snack.
Courgette & Mackerel Salad with Chilli, Lime & Toasted Seeds Serves 2
- 2 small to medium courgettes
- 1/2 head broccoli cut into florets
- 1 large avocado
- 2 red chillies (add more or less depending on your preference)
- juice of 2 limes
- handful each of fresh coriander, flat leaf parsley & mint leaves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic or rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup pumpkin and/or sunflower seeds
- tinned mackerel fillets in spring water, fresh grilled mackerel or salmon fillets, poached chicken breast
- Put the pumpkin/sunflower seeds into a dry frying pan on a low heat, gently toast until fragrant and starting to pop then leave to one side to cool.
- Place the broccoli florets in a steamer/fine mesh sieve over a pan of boiling water and steam for 3-4 minutes until lightly cooked but still crunchy. Take of the heat and leave to allow some of the steam to waft off (if its too hot when you add to the salad it will make the marinade watery).
- Whilst these bits are all cooking grate the courgettes into a large bowl, add the lime juice, tamari, vinegar, finely sliced chillies, herbs and toss well.
- Halve the avocado and use a spoon to make curls, add to the courgette with the fish or chicken and the slightly cooled broccoli (I sometimes cut the florets into smaller pieces at this point). Give everything another good toss, season with freshly ground pepper and portion into 2 bowls.
- Top with your toasted seeds and enjoy!
For a great breakfast try the grated courgettes, avocado, herbs and seeds tossed with lemon juice & balsamic vinegar and topped with a poached egg, delicious!