This recipe links to the post ‘Shining a Spotlight on Savoury Snacks’
- 1 cup Amaranth
- 2 cups water/stock
Optional additions: 1 tsp dried/fresh herbs &/or ground cumin, 1 tsp sundried tomato puree, chilli flakes, cracked black pepper
- Bring the amaranth & water/stock and any of your additional flavours (except if you’re using fresh herbs in which case add them to the cooked amaranth) to a gentle simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes until all the fluid is absorbed & it is a porridge like consistency
- Preheat the oven to 170°C and line 2 baking trays with parchment whilst the amaranth cools
- Roll large teaspoons of the amaranth into balls and place on the trays with space between, then take a square of parchment and place it on the top of the ball and flatten the mix to a thin crisp with the back of spoon. Peel the parchment away and repeat with the rest.
- Bake for about 20 minutes (depending on your oven) until lightly golden and crisp.
- Leave to cool on a rack then store in an airtight container for a few days.