This recipe links to the post ‘The Cauliflower Chronicles’
Serves 1 as a main or 2 as a side dish
- 1/2 head of cauliflower
- 2 organic eggs
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: a large handful of fresh herbs – parsley, coriander or dill
- Preheat your oven to 190°C. Line a baking tray with a piece of baking parchment.
- Use a coarse grater or food processor to make your cauliflower into rice. If grating, cut into quarters and hold onto the central stem for a better grip, then chop the stems by hand and add to the rest. If using a processor just chop into pieces and pulse everything a couple of times.
- Pour your cauliflower into a bowl. Add the eggs, nutritional yeast and a few good grinds of pepper. Beat everything together and if using add your finely chopped fresh herbs.
- Pour the mix out onto the baking parchment and shape into a round about 1cm thick, you can do this as one large circle or smaller individual pancakes if you prefer. The large pancake will take about 8-10 minutes baking and the smaller ones 5-6 minutes.
- Whilst they’re in the oven choose how you wish to top them. In the picture above I have opted for a salad of finely sliced cucumber, tomatoes, avocado, apple, broccoli stalk, red onion and fresh herbs (instead of putting them in the base) with an extra sprinkling of nutritional yeast as a final flourish. However you can go more pizza-esque with a super speedy tomato sauce or pesto base, mozzarella, feta, poached chicken, grilled artichokes, anchovies, olives, rocket or whatever you fancy. Or possibly something more simple like a bit of smashed avocado and sauerkraut for a quick lunch. Sauteed onions, leeks or peppers also work well in the base but leave them to cool slightly before mixing in with the cauliflower and eggs to prevent patches cooking unevenly and the mix not holding together.
- Once baked take the tortillas out of the oven and heat a large frying pan on a medium heat, flip the pancakes out into the dry pan, remove the parchment and toast lightly on each side for a delicious crispy crust. Tip out onto a plate and serve with your choice of toppings.