I have said before that when I first had to eliminate gluten & dairy from my diet there were no real alternatives out there that I would consider eating. That meant if I wanted to continue to eat in a way that I found enjoyable I had to get a little creative in the kitchen which is basically where Natural Nourishment began!
So anyway one of the things that troubled me most was a lack of cheese. Although I may dabble in an ice cream occasionally it was those savoury things that I always preferred & so obviously missed far more. But worry not this recipe is here to satisfy all your fromage fantasies whether your decide to ditch the dairy or not. I personally adore it on crackers & toast, or it also makes a fabulous stir through sauce for a simple pasta dish.
If you would like a little more info on some of the health considerations related to dairy products & why many people are choosing to avoid/lessen their consumption check out my post ‘The Darkside of Dairy‘.
Makes 1 jar
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight in filtered water with 1 tbsp of raw apple cider vinegar)
- ¼ cup filtered water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt and a few good grinds of black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil & rosemary
- Place your cashews in a large glass bowl or jug and cover with at least double their volume of filtered water. Add 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and leave to soak overnight. Drain and rinse well in the morning.
- Add the nuts with the rest of the ingredients to your food processor or high speed blender. puréeing until thick & creamy. It will be the consistency of soft cream cheese but hardens slightly after it’s been chilled. Taste for seasoning.
- Store in an airtight jar in the fridge for 5-7 days.