Buckwheat is a deliciously nutty, naturally gluten free grain and despite its name it has nothing to do with wheat! Although I am an absolute oat fanatic sometimes it’s nice to diversify when it comes to breakfast. Your choice of creamy yoghurt paired with the fresh, tart berries and smooth banana, all topped with crunchy, roasted niblets makes for a superb sunshine filled start to the day. From a nutritional perspective, the protein and fat content of the yoghurt and walnuts balances the sugar of the fruit providing sustained levels of energy throughout the morning. Berries are also some of the absolute top dogs when it comes to antioxidants and in my opinion supercharging your body’s defences as soon as you can can’t be a bad thing!
- 2 cups yoghurt (your choice of full fat natural, live, greek or coconut)
- 2 medium bananas
- 150g organic blackberries
- 200g organic blueberries
- 1/2 cup raw buckwheat groats
- 1/4 cup walnut halves
- Pop your berries into a sieve and run under the tap to wash, leave to drain dry. Slice your bananas into chunky slices and the blackberries in half.
- Gently warm a small frying pan on a low-medium heat, add your buckwheat groats and toast for 6-8 minutes. You need to keep an eye on them as if the pan gets too hot they will catch. Give the pan a swirl now and again to move everything about, you can tell they’re ready as they start to release a beautiful nutty aroma and turn lightly golden.
- Portion your yoghurt between 2 bowls, top with your sliced banana, berries and walnut pieces.
- Finally, sprinkle over your slightly cooled buckwheat and dive in!