AKA The savour of weeknight dinners! From fridge to pan in under 30 minutes, full of veggies, a tantalisingly fresh sauce and lovely pieces of chicken, salmon or tempeh depending on what you’ve got knocking about. My trick is to poach the meat/fish separately or steam the tempeh then add to the veggies at the last minute to prevent over or undercooking of the different elements. I like to cut my veggies pretty chunky so they retain a good bite, the interplay of the different textures really makes this dish extra delicious (& less time consuming with fine chopping!)
- 1 large red onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 large sticks celery
- 1/2 head broccoli
- 8 pieces baby corn
- 1 red pepper
- 6 chestnut mushrooms
- juice of 2 limes (+ a couple of extra wedges to serve)
- 1 tsp organic brown rice miso paste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2cm piece fresh ginger
- 1-2 tsp hot chilli flakes depending on your preference
- large handful fresh coriander
- 2 spring onions
- 2 chicken breasts, leftover roast chicken, 2 salmon fillets or organic tempeh
- 1/4 cup cashews
- Optional: buckwheat or rice noodles to serve, personally I just add more veggies and save on the extra pan!
- Place a pan of water on a high heat and bring to the boil. Once hot add your chicken/salmon fillets, remove from the heat, cover with a lid and leave to poach. Depending on the size the chicken should take 15-20 minutes and the salmon 7-10. If your using tempeh place in a steamer or in a sieve set above a pan of simmering water for 10 minutes then flip for a further 10.
- Set a small, dry pan to heat on a low flame and add the cashews. Leave to toast, gently mixing them around every now and then so they don’t catch. Once they’re golden and fragrant leave to one side to cool then roughly chop.
- Meanwhile slice the onion and add to a large frying pan or wok with the carrots, broccoli florets and celery. I personally like to cut my carrots and celery on a diagonal but if you’re more of a rounds person then go with what works for you.
- Add 1 tsp of coconut oil to the pan and turn the heat up medium-high. Cover with a lid and give everything a shake after a minute or so to spread the oil around.
- Grate the garlic and ginger into a bowl, add the lime juice, miso and chilli flakes and mix well. Leave to one side.
- Slice your pepper and halve the baby corn lengthways then
add to the other veggies which should be turning golden by this point.
- Remove your poached meat/fish and flake into pieces or cut the steamed tempeh into cubes. Roughly chop the coriander and spring onions.
- Add the protein to the pan, toss everything together and pour over your sauce, put the lid back on and turn off the heat leaving everything to steam together for 1-2 minutes.
- Sprinkle over the coriander and divide between 2 bowls with your noodles if using. Top with the chopped, toasted cashews and extra lime wedges.