These are basically a play on a really great bowl of muesli but handily contained within the portability of a ‘cookie’. As you can see from the ingredients there is nothing there to really associate these delights with anything you’d regularly find in a biscuit tin but that is not to say they don’t stand up to the challenge!
The oats provide a satisfying chewiness and great amounts of fibre to fuel you up and keep you going. This is balanced by the protein and healthy fats within the nuts which is all then tied together by the natural sweetness of the banana and cinnamon.
So if you’re looking for a super speedy breakfast or mid afternoon snack look no further than these guys. They also make for a fabulous hot drink companion so if that sweet toothed devil arrives, you know the one who says he can only be satisfied by something of the Hobnob variety? Give him the brush off for a couple of minutes and try one of these – both of you might get a surprise…. 😉
Makes 9 thick cookies
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 chopped walnuts
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC and line a tray with baking parchment.
- Mash the bananas with a fork then add the rest of the ingredients and mix together well.
- Place a biscuit cutter upside down on your tray (flat edge down rather than the fluted edge) spoon your mix into the cutter and press down well to make a 1/2 cm thick cookie. Repeat with the rest of the mix.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes until golden, keep an eye on them towards the end so they don’t catch.
- Cool on a wire rack until cold then transfer to an airtight container where they will keep for up to 5 days. Alternatively you freeze them for up to 3 months.
- Delight in the awesome, sweet chewiness as and when you desire! 😀