So this is one of those ‘What am I going to have for dinner?!’ moments that went really well.
Picture a rather tired person staring into a fridge not quite sure what it is she fancies, so instead of settling on one dish she simply combines 2 super quick, simple and tasty ones to come up with this beauty of an invention.
Combining lots of different colourful vegetables just sings antioxidants, plus by quickly steam stir-frying them you preserve the majority of the nutrient content with the addition of the coconut oil allowing for optimal uptake of your fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E & K).
The mackerel then dives on in with its super protein & omega 3 power, with the addition of the orange & lime bringing even more Vitamin C which enhances the absorption of Iron from the mackerel too.
If all that wasn’t enough the finishing touches of the avocado (what meal would be complete without it?!) & some salty, roasted pumpkin & sunflower seeds bring more plantbased protein, healthful oils & antioxidant power in the form of Glutathione. That’s in addition to a sensational savoury crunch & more minerals which just gain this delight gastronomic gold in my opinion!
And all entirely by accident……. 😀
- 3-4 medium carrots
- 3 sticks celery
- 1 red pepper (I like the romano ones but regular bell peppers work just fine)
- 1 large or 2 medium red onions
- 2 medium oranges
- 1 lime
- 1 large avocado
- 3 fillets kiln smoked mackerel (check that you aren’t buying ‘dip smoked’ these are bathed in chemicals to add a ‘liquid smoke’ flavour)
- 1/2 cup mixed sunflower & pumpkin seeds
- 4-5 sprays liquid aminos or 1 tbsp tamari
- few sprigs of fresh coriander
- Add the seeds to a small dry frying pan and gently toast on a medium-low heat until fragrant. Give the pan a shake every few minutes to check they aren’t catching. Once lightly golden turn the heat off and spray on your aminos/add your tamari, use a spoon to coat everything then leave to cool in the pan, the sauce will dry and the seeds crisp up to make a fabulous crunchy topping. Leave to one side.
- Peel your carrots, chop along the diagonal into 1/2 thick slices. Add to a large frying pan with 1/4 cup water and 1 teaspoon coconut oil. Don’t turn the heat on just yet.
- Prep your other veggies. De-seed the pepper & slice, halve the onions & chop into chunky slices, chop the celery sticks on the diagonal too.
- Cover the carrots with a lid and turn the heat on to medium-high. Leave to steam fry for 5 minutes then give them a stir & add the celery, pepper & onions, stir again then pop the lid back on. Turn the heat down to medium & leave to cook for another 5 mins.
- Meanwhile remove the skin from the mackerel fillets and break into pieces. Peel the oranges, halve and then chop into about 1cm chunks, do the same with your avocado and leave everything to one side for assembly later.
- Check your veggies again, we’re looking for the al dente side of life but not rock hard. the onions should start to caramelise in the natural sugars released from the carrots, if you think they need a bit more cooking to do this add a splash more water & recover for 3-4 more minutes.
- Once you’re happy with the texture & the water has evaporated remove the pan form the heat & add the orange chunks. Mix through then divide between 2 bowls.
- Sprinkle over the mackerel & avocado pieces, toss together & squeeze the juice of half a lime over each.
- Top with the fresh coriander leaves & toasted seeds then dive in!