A delicious alternative to a regular pasta bake, bursting with plant based protein, beautifully sweet veggies & succulent chicken pieces. A delicious take on a cosy & comforting wintery meal if ever I did see one!
- 1 recipe’s worth of my ‘No-Mato’ Pasta Sauce
- 1 large leek or red onion
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 organic chicken breasts or 4 thighs
- 200g fresh spinach
- 2 tbsp black onion seeds (AKA nigella seeds)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 organic vegetable stock cube
- bay leaf
- coconut oil
- Place the quinoa in a pan with the vegetable stock cube & water. Bring to a boil, stirring well to make sure the stock cube is fully dissolved, then turn down to a very gentle simmer, cover & leave to cook until all the fluid has been absorbed ~10 minutes.
- Meanwhile take a large pan & fill it 3/4 full with cold water, add the bay leaf & bring to the boil. Once bubbling remove from the heat & add your chicken. Cover tightly with a lid & leave to poach for 20 minutes (smaller pieces may take slightly less time, they are done when the flesh is firm to the touch & completely opaque).
- In another pan place the finely sliced leek/onion & 1/2 tsp coconut oil. Sweat on a low heat until soft & translucent then add your par-cooked quinoa. Mix well.
- Pour in your sauce & the black onion seeds then mix again. .over with a lid & leave to cook for a further 7-8 minutes until the quinoa has absorbed all the lovely flavour of the sauce, if you feel it is too dry add 1/2 cup more boiling water.
- Remove the chicken from the poaching liquid & chop into small pieces, stir through the quinoa mix & add your spinach.
- Turn the heat off & replace the lid for 2 minutes to allow the spinach to wilt in the residual heat, then serve.
You can easily make this in advance & decant it into a casserole dish. To reheat simply cover & place in a 200ºC oven for 15 minutes until hot all the way through.