I’m sure by now you’re all sick to the back teeth of me waxing on about the importance of a protein rich breakfast.
Now this is not to detract from that message in any way, starting your day well is probably one of the most positive steps you can make towards a healthful life. However I am completely aware that sometimes eggs just don’t float the boat, fish in the morning can turn people’s stomachs or you’re just in a vegetarian/vegan frame of mind, and that’s where this recipe swoops on in!
A combination of plant based protein, dietary fibre and wonderful health promoting fats, in a addition to vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, this is one of my favourite ways to start the day (or break it up with a snack 😉 ) Try varying the beans if you fancy, aduki or black beans add an additional nuttiness, or chickpeas a bit more texture.
Quantities are per portion
- 3 tablespoons cannellini beans
- 1/4 large or 1/2 baby avocado
- squeeze of lemon or lime juice
- freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: 3 olives
To serve: 3-4 oatcakes or wholemeal crispbreads/crackers, 1-2 slices rye toast
- Drain and rinse the beans well. Add to a bowl with the avocado and roughly mash with a fork. Taste, add the seasoning and lemon juice to your taste.
- Slice the olives and fold through, then either spread on your chosen toast/crackers, or my even speedier option is simply to crumble the oatcakes into the bowl and eat with a spoon!