Pesto is such a beautiful sauce, it’s so absolutely bursting with flavour no dish can fail to be enhanced by a generous drizzle!
As we enter into the last few weeks of this year’s basil season I can see no better way of celebrating this incredible herb than by whipping up a big batch of my favourite dairy free, walnut based version.
I personally think the marrying of these ever so slightly bitter, yet omega 3 rich, beauties with the fresh basil, plenty of raw garlic and a zing of lemon juice is pretty much paradise personified, however if you’re more of a purist feel free to swap them for pine nuts.
For a video version of this recipe please see here
Makes 1 jar
- 100g fresh basil (tough stalks removed)
- 3 tablespoons walnuts
- 4 cloves garlic
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- Add the basil leaves to a food processor with the walnuts, garlic, salt, nutritional yeast and lemon juice. Blend to combine.
- Scrape down any stragglers, then replace the lid and slowly drizzle in the olive oil with the motor running. Add the water to thin to your desired consistency, you may not need any/all of it.
- Decant into a jar with a tight fitting lid and use within a week.