One of my biggest pet peeves in life is waste, especially when it comes to food! Luckily this is counterbalanced by one of my favourite things to do which is to create recipes to use up seemingly non-useable ingredients! 😀
This absolutely beautiful breakfast evolved from exactly one of those situations; I had made a big batch of super dreamy, creamy tiger nut milk (find that recipe here) and was then left with a large quantity of meal for which I seemingly had no use.
Now one of the incredible benefits of tiger nuts is their high quantity of insoluble fibre, most of which is contained in that meal I had left over. Due to the fact they are also little root vegetables rather than nuts (just to add a layer of confusion of course) they are also rich in resistant starch and have a naturally sweet taste.
By simply combining the leftovers I had created with a couple of other standard store cupboard ingredients, this experimental idea has gone from being a bag of waste to one of my favourite ways to start the day.
I hope you will all enjoy it as much as I do! <3
- 1/3 cup tiger nut meal (leftover from making tiger nut milk)
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon whole soaked tiger nuts (grab them before you make your milk)
- 1 tablespoon walnut pieces
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup tiger nut milk
- 1 small banana
- 1/4 apple
- 1 tablespoon bee pollen to serve (optional)
- Place the spinach and tiger nut milk into a blender and whizz until smooth, leave to one side.
- Construct your bowl by adding the tiger nut meal, whole tiger nuts, oats, walnuts and chopped apple first, giving them a little stir. I then like to slice the banana and build it up on one side, adding my sprinkled bee pollen over the top.
- All that’s then left to do is pour in your gorgeously silky spinach milk and dive in!