Now this is the first (but definitely not the last!) dedicated recipe I’ve published. Last week I teamed up with The Tigernut Company for a recipe competition and asked those who follow Natural Nourishment on social media to challenge me to make a dish with their products.
I had a wealth of wonderful ideas coming through but the lovely Ingrid was the winner chosen at random and thus she gets this recipe, and all the ingredients to make it, as her prize.
As many of you will know I am not one for sticking to the rules when it comes to flavour combinations, and when this is then combined with my attention to nutritional detail, we end up with incredible combinations like this! I particularly want to highlight the inclusion of celeriac as I feel it is sometimes a much ignored vegetable, but it has a deliciously delicate, aromatic flavour along with an arsenal of vitamins and minerals including C, K, Magnesium and Potassium.
As this blend is not only an absolute delight to eat, but also boasts such an incredible dose of health promoting nutrients, starting your day with this beauty is sure to put a smile on your face for the rest of the day (/week 😉 ).
For more information on why I love to use tiger nuts, and how to make your own tiger nut milk, check out this post.
- 100g sweet potato
- 50g celeriac
- 2 cups organic spinach
- 30g frozen courgette
- 25g frozen banana
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup bebida de chufa (tiger nut milk)
- 1 teaspoon smooth cashew butter
- 1/4 cup tiger nuts
To Serve: sliced pear, cashew pieces, whole tiger nuts
- The night before; slice a courgette and banana and pop into the freezer. Place the whole tiger nuts in a small bowl and cover with 2 cups of filtered water, cover and leave to soak.
- When you’re ready to make your smoothie peel and roughly chop the sweet potato and celeriac. Add to a high speed blender with the spinach and tiger nut milk, blending until smooth.
- Add the cashew butter, banana, courgette (weigh these when frozen) and 1 tablespoon of the soaked tiger nuts (drained), blending again until silky.
- Pour into a bowl and top with the sliced pear, cashew pieces and rest of the tiger nuts or whatever you choose, then dive in and enjoy!