Now looking at this beautiful bowl would you know that it was all the leftovers from my fridge?
(Don’t say yes!)
So this is my key to healthy eating, always have delicious things ready in the fridge so when time is short, or you’re a little tired, assembly is all you need to do.
I absolutely love tempeh, for those of you who haven’t tried it, it’s a vegetarian/vegan protein source made from whole fermented soya beans (edamame). More distinct in flavour than tofu it also has the added benefit of being probiotic and thus supporting our digestive and immune systems, among other things. When steamed and then crisped up in the oven it is just totally divine.
Another of my absolute mainstays is kimchi which I use as the seasoning for this dish. Rich again in probiotic bacteria it is also the only food to contain a specific strain Lactobacillus sakei which is also found in the sinuses, so if you’re a serial stuffy noser then absolutely make friends with kimchi, you’ll be amazed at the difference it makes!
Of course no meal would be complete without greens so I’ve got some lovely iron rich organic spinach too, with orange slices to increase the absorption of this vital mineral, and my current obsession, oregano roasted green beans which are just indescribably delicious!
All of these things can be done in large batches, (I tend to triple the quantities of the veg) packed up, and kept in the fridge so when hunger calls all you do is pop them on a lined tray for 10-15 minutes in a hot oven, add the fresh bits and you’re ready to go! 😀
- 200g fresh tempeh
- 200g green beans
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 heaped teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large handfuls organic spinach
- 1 small orange
- 1/2 cup kimchi (I love the Laurie’s Foods Hot & Smokey Kimchi Kraut)
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC, line a couple of large trays with parchment paper.
- Place a pan of water on to boil, with a sieve over the top, add the tempeh, cover and leave to steam for 7 minutes, then flip and steam for another 7. You can also use a steamer if you have one. Once ready leave to one side to cool.
- Wash the sweet potatoes then slice into 2cm pieces, I like to do this on the diagonal to create larger pieces but you could also do rounds. Arrange on the tray and drizzle over 1/2 a tablespoon of coconut oil, tossing together to coat them all evenly. Place into the oven for 10 minutes.
- Rinse the green beans, shaking off any excess water before laying out on the other tray, drizzling over the other 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil and seasoning with the oregano and black pepper.
- Cut the tempeh into cubes and arrange on the other half of the tray.
- Flip the sweet potatoes over and pop the other tray with the beans and tempeh into the oven with them for 15 minutes, checking halfway through and giving the trays a shake to move everything around.
- Divide the spinach between 2 bowls, and peel and slice the oranges before adding them too.
- Take everything out of the oven, create your beautiful rainbow arrangement as above, add the kimchi and dive in!