I love this combination of the natural nuttiness of oats with the deeply flavoursome chicken stock and think it’s a fabulous way to start the day. You can easily increase the size of the dish and add extra bits like avocado to turn it into a more substantial lunch or dinner.
Making stocks or bone broths is exceptionally easy and imbues that golden liquor with an absolute wealth of nutrients, particularly those that support musculoskeletal and digestive health.
Topped with a perfect steam fried organic egg, a few sprigs of peppery watercress and sweet cherry tomatoes this dish is perfectly balanced in terms of macronutrients, absolutely bursting with micronutrients and no less than 300% delicious 😉
For a vegan/vegetarian alternative simply use vegetable stock, top with avocado and a little crumbled tofu.
- 2/3 cup jumbo rolled oats (use gluten free if necessary)
- 2 2/3 cups chicken or bone broth
- 2 large organic eggs
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 large handful watercress
- 1 avocado
- vegetable stock
- toasted nori
- 1/2 cup crumbled organic tofu
- Add the oats to a saucepan with the stock, bring to a gentle simmer, stir well and leave to cook for 10-15 minutes until the liquid has all been absorbed. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Wash and halve the cherry tomatoes, leaving to one side with the watercress.
- Take a large non-stick pan and heat on high for a minute or so until you can feel the heat when you hold your hand ~5cm above it. Crack in the eggs, cover with a tight fitting lid and turn the heat right down. Leave to steam for ~2-3 minutes until the yolk is just set.
- Divide the porridge between 2 bowls, top with an egg each and scatter over the watercress and tomato halves.