On cooler mornings I know I for one am all about the warm breakfasts but there are those days when time is poor and suddenly porridge seems to take too long (holds head in hands and whimpers slightly) and eggs are far too effort intensive.
So this is my answer to those days, or days when I just fancy something slightly different!
Neither porridge or a bowl of muesli, this strikes somewhere in between. You can prep your bowl easily the night before and then just add fresh fruit in the morning whilst your milk warms. Then hey presto, all of a sudden you’ve got yourself a hearty, warming start to the day in 3 minutes flat 🙂
Perfect for a weekday morning, easily adapted to personal preferences or picky kids, and 100% nutritiously delicious and sustaining for a busy day. In the ingredients I list my personal favourites but you can easily adapt these to yours, for kids simply scale down the quantities to their age appropriate portions.
- 1/3 cup jumbo oats (gluten free if necessary)
- 1/2 cup mixed nuts & seeds – I have pumpkin seeds, cashews and hazelnuts
- 1/2 tablespoon hulled hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseed
- 1/2 banana
- 1 fresh figs
- 1 cup milk of choice – I use unsweetened cashew or hazelnut (either homemade or Plenish)
- 1 tablespoon nut or coconut butter (optional)
- Place all your dry ingredients in a bowl and top with the sliced fruit.
- Pop you milk into a small pan and heat until just shimmering then pour over your muesli base, drizzle with your nut butter if you’re using it and dive in!