I think risotto is one of the easiest dishes to whip up but I feel like it gets a bad wrap, labelled as super labour intensive, requiring endless stirring etc etc but I am here to tell you THIS IS NOT THE CASE!
Fine OK I will admit there is a small amount of stirring required but in actual fact a good risotto rice (arborio or carnoli) needs very little to do its super creamy thing. I have also recently discovered the incredible ‘risotto packs’ by Organico – now I would never usually go for a ‘ready’ anything because the ingredients get weird but these just help with that mid-week madness by adding some probiotic rich miso for incredible depth of flavour, and a couple of extra herbs etc so you can get on with the rest of your evening and leave the stove to itself.
I think this also makes for the most delicious brunch or lunch dish, and if you have those who don’t fancy an egg well then you can easily leave them out!
- 250g Organico asparagus risotto or plain arborio or carnaroli rice
- 1 litre boiling water (use stock + 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs if using plain rice)
- 1 small red onion
- 1 heaped tbsp aubergine or olive paste
- 1 large handful fresh parsley
- 500g fresh spinach
- 4 large organic eggs
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat your oven to 200C, lightly grease 1 large casserole dish or a selection of individual ones with coconut oil.
- Finely dice the onion and add to a large sauté pan with the 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil, heat gently on a medium flame and leave to soften for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the risotto rice to the pan and mix well then add a 1/3 of the water and leave to simmer until the majority has been absorbed, again stirring occasionally. Continue with the other 2/3rds of the water until the rice is tender and creamy. Stir through the aubergine or olive paste, chopped parsley and spinach (it will wilt down in the residual heat of the pan)
- Spoon into your dishes making 4 small depressions for the eggs, crack them in carefully, season with pepper and bake for 10-15 minutes until just set.
- Serve with extra chopped parsley and a crisp salad.