I love to experiment in the kitchen (if you hadn’t realised!) and I love it even more when that creativity is sparked by new, fun ingredients to play with.
The lovely team at Raw Gorilla recently sent me some of their fantastic products to try (they are DELICIOUS may I add here) and although sensational munched straight from the box that wasn’t exciting enough for me.
So what did I do?
Well I took that childhood favourite and gave it a makeover – cue the pillowy soft, dreamily smooth marshmallow dappled with incredible crunchy pieces, coconut and general delight.
(Yes indeed this is heaven in food form.)
Now with that introduction one might expect an insanely complex recipe, but as per usual this is simplicity itself! Oh and of course the ingredients are all carefully considered to be super nutritious as well as delicious! So don that apron and let the fun begin!
Makes 16-20 squares depending on their size
- 1 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons organic, grass fed beef gelatine (I use Great Lakes)
- 1 cup honey (I use RAW Health)
- Pinch himalayan salt
- 2.5 cups Raw Gorilla Rawberry Crispies
- 1.5 cup coconut chips
- Add 1/2 cup water to a large glass bowl and sprinkle over the gelatine 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring it in to avoid clumps. Leave to one side.
- Add the other 1/2 cup water and honey to a small pan and bring to a gentle simmer, boil until it darkens to a medium caramel and thickens slightly, approx 10 minutes.
- Slowly dribble the caramel into the gelatin mix with the salt, beating with an electric whisk (you could do this in a stand mixer if you have one). Continue until you have added all of the caramel and then continue to beat for 8-10 minutes until you have pillowy marshmallow.
- Fold through the crispies and coconut before transferring to your prepared tray and popping into the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Turn out and cut into squares with a sharp knife. Wrap in paper to store in the fridge or devour immediately.
- Will keep for 4 days.