I love discovering new things to experiment with, and I am also a strong believer in trying absolutely everything I suggest people use, which works pretty well and definitely keeps my army of taste testers VERY happy bunnies!
So on the menu today is this perfectly pretty pancake plate. Now I know there are many who literally leap out of bed at the weekend to whip up a batch, I probably wouldn’t class myself in this bracket being more of a savoury toothed person BUT there are definitely days where nothing else will do. I actually tend to snack on pancakes more than breakfasting on them so generally like to make a large batch, portion them up and freeze them to dip into later.
Oh and don’t worry if sweet really isn’t to your taste my sweet potato and black onion seed version are absolutely divine too!
So what are my exciting new discoveries? Well you may be shocked to know that these are actually made from a pancake mix – now that isn’t because I’ve decided to throw in the towel and go for pre-made things from here on out, quite the opposite, I just know that sometimes we all need like a time saving solution, and as I said, I always have to try before I recommend!
So this is the Superfood Bakery ‘Morning Dreamers’ Pancake mix and the ingredients are fab, a mix of naturally gluten free, whole food ingredients with some extra spice from cinnamon and lucuma (a South American fruit giving a mapley citrus flavour). I’ve then combined that with a Humble Warrior elixir (my next discovery) as the liquid element for a lighter finish but you can absolutely use nut milk as suggested on the packet.
Humble Warrior very kindly sent me a selection of their fantastic Ayurvedic drinks to try and I have to say I am a firm fan. The incorporation of traditional herbs and adaptogens including reishi mushroom, chamomile, tulsi (holy basil) and ginseng offers something a little more than your usual refreshing beverage as all of these help to support our bodies to become more flexible to our ever changing environment.
So yes a couple of new things for you to look out for, and now for the all important how to!
For the pancakes:
- 1 pack Superfood Bakery Morning Dreamers Pancakes mix
- 3 eggs
- 225ml liquid – either a Humble Warrior elixir like me or nut milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
For the cashew sauce:
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 cup Humble Warrior elixir of choice (I used the Tiger Spring) – you could also use coconut water
To Serve: 3 fresh apricots, chopped blanched almonds
- Add the cashews to a bowl, cover with boiling water and leave to soak for at least an hour. Drain, rinse and add to a high speed blender with the Humble Warrior elixir, blending until super silky and smooth. Pop in the fridge until you need it.
- Add your eggs to a large bowl with your chosen liquid, whisking until well blended. Pour in the pancake mix whisking again until smooth.
- Take a large frying pan, heating it gently on a medium heat. Either add the coconut oil/butter or if it’s a good quality non-stick pan you can cook them without oil.
- Add 1/4 cup of your mix per pancake leaving them to cook gently until you see small bubbles starting to appear, then flip and cook for another minute until springy when pressed. Continue with the rest of the mix.
- Halve the apricots and strawberries, once you’ve finished with the pancakes lay the apricots in the pan cut side down, pressing them down lightly and cooking for 1-2 minutes until lightly caramelised.
- Arrange the pancakes on your plates with the fruit, sprinkle over the chopped almonds and drizzle your dreamy cashew sauce with abandon.