When eating the rainbow gets serious…..am I right?
Now these are probably not ringing any bells for those of you familiar with the concept of a ‘loaded chip’ as usually that would include things like gravy, perhaps cheese, & if you went to my University – curry sauce. Let’s leave that there & move on though with a caveat that I never dabbled in any of those but was privy to the almost daily consumption by my fellow undergraduates!
So my reinvention sees a base of deliciously sweet carrots, roasted to tender perfection, & then topped with a fantastically flavoursome jackfruit mix.
If you haven’t come across jackfruit yet it is sweeping the nation as a plant based textural equivalent to things like pulled pork, now my greengrocer happens to have the fresh stuff (he literally has the most exotic array of things I have ever seen!) but in this recipe I have actually used the canned product by Biona.
When paired with the deliciously crunchy slaw this is truly a showstopper of a sharing dish, & one sure to delight both the plant based & meat eating foodies at your table alike.
For the fries:
- 500g carrots
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 4 grinds black pepper
For the jackfruit:
- 2 cans Biona Organic Young Jackfruit in spring water
- 1/2 sweet white onion or small brown onion
- 2 tablespoons tamari or liquid aminos
- 3/4 cup passata
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 3 ready to eat dates
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
For the slaw:
- 1/2 kohlrabi
- 1 small fennel bulb with the fronds if possible (if without add a large handful fresh coriander)
- 1 tart green apple
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- Preheat your oven to 200C, take a large baking tray, measure out a piece of baking parchment then tear it in half.
- Halve the carrots down their length, rub the cut side with coconut oil, season & lay on 1 piece of parchment. Roast for 15 mins
- Add all the jackfruit sauce ingredients to a blender puréeing until smooth then mix with the drained jackfruit pieces.
- Take the tray out of the oven, flip the carrots then lay the other piece of parchment over the other half, pour on your jackfruit, spread it out evenly & return to the oven for 20 mins.
- Prepare the slaw by finely slicing the kohlrabi, fennel & apple into matchsticks & shredding the fennel fronds or coriander. Toss with the lime juice then leave to one side.
- Take your tray out of the oven & use 2 spoons to break the jackfruit up slightly, mix around with the sauce & return to the oven for a final 15 minutes.
- To serve add your golden carrots to the plates, top with generous spoonfuls of the jackfruit, plenty of your slaw & a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds to finish.