Right from the very beginning when I coined the mantra ‘Making Every Mouthful Matter’ that’s exactly what I have strived to do with every recipe I create to share with you all.
And these little bites of pink perfection are no exception.
Not only do they look GORGEOUS & have layers of flavour you didn’t quite know you could enjoy SO much, they also go much further in terms of supporting different aspects of our health.
In a ‘standard’ jelly you will usually find gelatine, that’s a given as it provides the setting agent. However the difference here is I’ve opted for a grass fed organic gelatine which means we are talking leaps & bounds ahead of a product created from intensively reared livestock which can contain all kinds of unpleasant things such as medications, chemical cleaning agents & others.
Additionally you will also find excessive quantities of sugar or sugar syrups, usually a synthetic sweetener or 2, & some form of colouring agent. All of these unfamiliar ingredients place burden on the body which can’t quite work out what to do with them, in addition to destabilising your blood sugar which has immediate effects in terms of fluctuating moods & energy levels, & then more insidious long term ones such as increasing inflammation.
But anyway I have bypassed ALL of those potential pitfalls for you here, & in a recipe that is pretty much just the same in terms of effort & ease as if you were to buy 1 of those pre-made blocks from a supermarket.
And not only have you not done any of the above you have actually gone firmly in the other direction & gifted your body with elements that strengthen your digestive system, nourish your skin, increase your antioxidant levels, & provide anti-inflammatories rather than their less positive opposites.
For all my plant based friends out there who would not be happy using a gelatine product watch this space as I am experimenting making these with agar, however so far the increased chewiness of the results lends me towards a jelly in a glass style situation with a softer set, as opposed to taking them to this sliceable form when they become a little less pleasant. But as I said it’s a work in progress & I’ll let you know as soon as I have the quantities perfected for you.
Makes 15 pieces
- 1 1/2 cups Pom Wonderful pomegranate juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rosewater
- 1 tablespoon beetroot powder
- 2 tablespoons Planet Paleo gelatine
- 1 tablespoon dried rose petals + extra to decorate
- Add 1/2 cup cold water to a bowl & sprinkle the gelatine over the top, leave for 5 mins to bloom.
- Warm the juice & rosewater in a small pan until just about to simmer then pour over the gelatine, add the beet powder & whisk until fully dissolved. Mix through the petals .
- Pour into silicone moulds or a parchment lined container & leave to set for 2-3 hours in the fridge before cutting into cubes. Eat within a week.