There was definitely a point somewhere along the way when food got REALLY complicated. As in, in order to produce a dish vaguely worth any appreciation you needed to invest in about 35 ingredients & 3 days of preparation time.
No wonder people think they can’t cook these days…..
Well I’m here today (& everyday) waving my little flag for honest, simple staples. The kind of meal my wonderful grandmothers would have whipped up & served (much to our delight) from the bits they had in their fridges.
No mess, no fuss, just honest, nourishing goodness.
OK well there may have been a little mess but that sounds less poetic doesn’t it.
Now as you can read about all in this post here I recently had the wonderful opportunity to visit the H. Forman & Son factory & you will see I feature their incredible salmon jerky in the recipe below.
They ship internationally so do not fret if you are friends flung far & wide, but also should you not be able to get some then simply swap for pieces of baked salmon, tinned mackerel, a cheese you enjoy or some pieces of chicken. Or just leave out the animal products, shred up some extra herbs or greens & go for those instead.
- 2 cups cooled mashed potato or 2 baking potatoes, boiled, cooled & grated.
- 1 organic egg.
- 1/2 cup Forman & Field salmon jerky crumbled into pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Black pepper
- Avocado , lemon, & steamed greens to serve.
- Preheat your oven to 200C.
- Add the potato to a large bowl, use your hands to work through the parsley & pepper then fold through the salmon pieces.
- Crack in the egg, mix well & roll into 6 patties. Arrange these on a lined tray & bake for 20 minutes until golden.
- Serve immediately or cool & refrigerate using within a week.
- They freeze perfectly well too & will last frozen for up to 3 months. Pop straight into a 190C oven to warm through for 10-15 minutes.