Who remembers when your mama told you you weren’t allowed to eat her preserves with a spoon……yeh mine still does that so I just have to make my own for snacking on these days….!
In the land of conserves, jams & jellies there really aren’t many that you can find where the first ingredient isn’t sugar (because that’s the classic way of making the thing isn’t it!). Now chia jam is delicious & a great option but it is slightly different in terms of consistency & shelf life.
So welcome to the stage the new kid on the block. Drumroll (& toast preparation) please.
In replacement for the high quantities of sugar I’ve turned to the natural sweetness of strawberries & oranges, all set with simple, organic gelatine. A spreadable delight that you can also eat totally guilt free with a spoon.
Sounds pretty good to me! (And there’s none of the boiling sugar, testing on a plate to see if it sets madness either….triple wins!)
Makes 1-2 jars
- 500g fresh strawberries
- 2 oranges
- 1 tablespoon Planet Paleo gelatine
- Zest 1 orange then juice both, add juice & zest to a small pan & gently warm until simmering. Turn the heat off, add the gelatine, whisk to dissolve.
- Nip the stalks off your strawberries, roughly chop & blend to a purée.
- Add to the pan, stir through & warm once more, only until just about to simmer as you want to preserve all the heat unstable vitamins they contain.
- Pour into sterile jars, cool for 30 minutes then transfer to the fridge to set for 1-2 hours. You should end up with a soft set; spreadable, spoonable & delicious.