Cauliflower, oh how I love thee.
And oh how so many loathe thee.
But NO MORE (because who can resist a crispy coating?!) Seriously friends no one will turn down this reimagining of our favourite (& yet often over cooked) cruciferous chum.
Take my word for it, or better yet make this yourself & delight in helping to prove me right!
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 1 cup pure nut milk (I use cashew or almond) + 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon each paprika & garlic powders
- Pinch salt & 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups of frozen peas
- 1 tin of butter beans
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Mix the milk & lemon juice in a bowl, leave to 1 side for 10 mins.
- Cut your cauliflower into 2 large steaks & break up any remaining bits into florets. Steam for 5 mins, then pat thoroughly dry.
- Preheat your oven to 210C & place a wire rack on a flat baking tray (this will allow the steaks to crisp up more but you can just bake them on a silicone mat lined tray too).
- Combine the coating ingredients on a plate, dip each steak in your ‘buttermilk’ then into the coating & arrange on your tray. Repeat with the extra bits & bake for 25-35 mins until golden & crisp.
- Meanwhile add your peas to a pan, cover with water & bring to the boil for 2 mins. Drain & blend with the rest of the purée ingredients until smooth. Season to taste.
- Warm the purée in a pan just before serving stirring frequently, then top with your gorgeous steaks & dive in!