I am all about speed. Well speed in combination with sustainence. And simplicity.
OK so maybe I’m not all about speed.
But I do love a nourishing morsel that comes together in moments which this lovely chap very much does!
This also just so happens to be a fabulous way to sneak small oily fish into the diets of those less inclined their way (I’m thinking little ones who won’t eat mackerel or sardines but tuck into tuna happily, however this could also be bigger kids too!). To begin try mixing half & half tuna & another variety then gradually phase out the tuna from the scenario & watch them continue to devour this deliciousness!
- 2 tins of your chosen fish (in spring water) I have used mackerel fillets here but salmon, sardines & tuna (at a push – try to avoid the larger predatory fish if you can as they contain contaminants in higher concentrations)
- 2 heaped tablespoons soft cheese (almond based, regular, ricotta) OR yoghurt (dairy free, greek, natural, sheep or goat milk based) OR creme fraiche (use a little less lemon with this option)
- Juice of a lemon
- Black pepper to taste + salt if needed
- Optional – fresh herbs, dried oregano, chilli flakes
- To serve – seed crackers, toast, rice cakes, cucumber & quick picked onions, or use to stuff baked potatoes/as a dip.
- Add the drain fish to a food processor with the lemon juice & pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Then add your chosen creamy addition, blend again, add any optional extras, check the seasoning & you’re ready to go!
- Keep refrigerated & use within 3 days.