I often have moments when I suddenly think “But WHY must ‘X’ food be that way”.
Which is what happened here.
Granola & oat based snacks are often associated with sweetness, they contain 50% dried fruit & possibly additional syrups or honey too. Now they can be absolutely fine if had in moderation, but portion sizing with these things is never usually accurate I find.
So I thought why not put a spin on the whole thing & ditch the sweetness, instead looking to headily delicious cacao, a hint of fresh herby flavour & many layers of lovely fibrous nuts & seeds. Oh & some oats too.
Makes 10-12 large pieces
- 1 cup jumbo oats
- 2 packets Brave Foods dark chocolate roasted chickpeas OR 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas (toast in a warm oven at 200C for 10 minutes before using)
- ½ cup each pumpkin seeds & whole flaxseed
- ⅓ cup each raw coconut chips, sesame & chia seeds
- 1 ½ tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 heaped tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon black pepper + pinch of salt
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- Preheat your oven to 180C & line a brownie tin with parchment paper. If you’re toasting your own chickpeas then do these first before dropping the oven temperature down.
- Add all the dry ingredients except the chickpeas to a large bowl, mix well then add the melted coconut oil & water. Combine thoroughly & leave to sit for 5 minutes.
- Mix again & add the chickpeas, if there is any liquid left at the bottom of the bowl keep mixing until it is absorbed.
- Decant into your tin & smooth to an even 4cm thick layer.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes then turn out onto a flat tray & bake for a final 5-10 minutes bottom side up to crisp up. Leave to cool on a rack then cut into pieces.
- Use within 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.