- Serves 6
- Prep in 1-12 hours soaking time for the nuts
- Cook in 20 minutes
If I were to suggest one singular foodstuff that you can always be sure to find in my fridge it would be hummus in some shape or form.
I mean it’s DELICIOUS & potentially the most versatile thing in the entire world so why not…..?!
Now the classic embodiment, heady with tahini, garlic, cumin & lemon is fabulous, but so are the slightly more off piste versions like this delight right here.
I’ve swapped intense garlic for the more delicate onion, tahini for whole sweet macadamias or cashews, sharp lemon is mellowed by combining it with orange, & then I’ve just enhanced the whole thing with the layers of flavour you get from lightly scorching those beautiful corn kernels until they caramelise.
All I can say is if you didn’t think you loved hummus before you 110% will now!
- High Protein
- Plant Powered
- Freezer Friendly
- Prep Ahead - Lasts for 5 Days
1 white or brown onion
1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive or avocado oil
2 cups fresh/frozen corn kernels
1/4 cup macadamia or cashew nuts
1 x 400g tin chickpeas
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon & 1/2 an orange
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Water to thin
- Fresh coriander to serve
- Add your nuts to a bowl, cover with cold water & leave to soak overnight. (or use boiling water & soak for 1 hour)
- Preheat your oven to 200C, line a tray with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Roughly chop the onion, separate the layers, toss with the oil & bake for 15-20 minutes until crisp & golden.
- Add the corn kernels to a dry pan, heat on medium & stir occasionally until lightly golden. You want to leave them still long enough to caramelise but not too long that they catch & burn (just shake the pan about a bit every minute or so)
- Drain the nuts, rinse, & add to a food processor with the onion & most of the corn (save some to decorate). Blend to a rough paste. Add the drained chickpeas & citrus juices. Blend again & thin to your desired consistency with water, taste then season.
- Serve topped with the reserved kernels & chopped coriander.