- Prep in 10 minutes
- Cook in 10 minutes (+ 30 minutes infusing)
These little ingots are just as valuable as their name implies.
Some of you may be familiar with Golden Milk or possibly a turmeric latte, basically a warm drink infused with the incredible natural medicines turmeric and ginger, with some extra spices like cinnamon thrown in for good measure.
Well this is my version.
I choose to use the fresh spices for their increased potency and really concentrate them into more of an elixir style nectar with Ceylon cinnamon, cardamon and black pepper for an incredible depth of flavour. I store some in the fridge and freeze the rest into individual servings to retain all the natural power (and keep the possibility of tinging everything yellow to one day a month rather than weekly 😉 )
The tonic can be drunk by itself as a spicy shot, added to porridge, smoothies, warmed into a cup of nut milk or hot water, all of which you can also do with the frozen portions.
I find this to be a simple way to make traditional medicine work for a modern lifestyle, AKA everything that Natural Nourishment stands for 🙂
- Makes 1 Litre
- Naturally Anti-Inflammatory
- Freezer Friendly
1 litre unsweetened nut milk, I use Plenish cashew milk
100g organic fresh root turmeric
100g organic fresh ginger
4 Ceylon cinnamon quills (if you can’t get these use regular cinnamon sticks)
10 whole cardamon pods
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Add the nut milk to a pan, crush the cardamom pods until they crack and the seeds are released scraping everything into the milk.
- Finely grate the turmeric and ginger (leave the skin on and wear gloves!) into the pan and add the pepper and cinnamon too.
- Cover with a lid and bring to a very gentle simmer, leaving to cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir well then turn the heat off and leave covered to infuse for 30 minutes.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve and either decant into an airtight jar if you want to use as is (it will keep for a week in the fridge) or pour into an ice cube tray and freeze for 4-6 hours until firm. Pop out, transfer to a bag and use within 3 months.