I hope it has become evident to most of you by now that underpinning my passion for all things nutrition minded is a true foodie, someone who loves to enjoy food and who loves to share delicious things even more. And these 2 things don’t have to be exclusive of each other, I just encourage a little more care & attention be paid to cooking methods & ingredients so we can dive into delights like this & gain health benefits rather than be metaphorically tapped on the knuckles for over indulging in not so great sweet treats (this is actually another topic entirely so I will pause before I completely digress!)
I think this recipe makes for the perfect decadent dessert, it’s rich & yet delicate, sumptuous & yet simple, & as you can see it’s a bit of a showstopper that will win over everyone at your table!
Makes 6 (with some extra base for nibbling on or rolling into balls for snacks)
For the tacos:
- 100g blanched almonds
- 35g cashews or walnuts
- 15g cacao nibs
- 150g raisins
- 50g dried apricots or soft dates
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
For the rest:
- Oppo Brothers Salted Caramel ice cream
- 50g dark chocolate (I’ve used RAW Health extreme dark but any 85% or above bar works)
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
- A small punnet of strawberries
- Add the almonds, cashews/walnuts, raisins & apricots/dates to a food processor, blending until you have a well combined, sticky mix. Add the cacao & cacao nibs pulsing until they are incorporated.
- Transfer to the fridge fridge for an hour or freezer for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Cut off 1/4 cup sized pieces, roll into a ball then sandwich between 2 pieces of parchment paper. Use a rolling pin to flatten into rough ovals (a little textured edge looks lovely in my opinion so no need for them to be perfect!). Continue with the rest of the mix & then pick something slightly curved to lay them over (I used lemons but you could use a glass, spice jar, anything!) Pop them back in the freezer for 40 minutes
- When you’re ready to serve melt the chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan of simmering water, halve the strawberries & chop your pistachios.
- Artistically drizzle some chocolate over the plates, add a taco shell to each, fill with a generous scoop of ice cream, add the strawberries & finish up with any leftover chocolate & the pistachios.