- Serves 12
- Prep in 10 minutes
- Cook in 40-50 minutes
Which is what happened here.
Granola & oat based snacks are often associated with sweetness, they contain 50% dried fruit & possibly additional syrups or honey too. Now they can be absolutely fine if had in moderation, but portion sizing with these things is never usually accurate I find.
So I thought why not put a spin on the whole thing & ditch the sweetness, instead looking to headily delicious cacao, a hint of fresh herby flavour & many layers of lovely fibrous nuts & seeds. Oh & some oats too.
- Family Friendly
- Freezer Friendly
- High Fibre
- Sugar Free
1 cup jumbo oats
1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
1/2 cup each pumpkin seeds & whole flaxseed
1/3 cup each raw coconut chips, sesame & chia seeds
1 1/2 tablespoon melted coconut oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon black pepper
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups warm water
Preheat your oven to 200C, add your chickpeas to a flat baking tray & toast for 10 minutes. Leave to 1 side to cool & turn the oven down to 180C.
- Add all the dry ingredients except the chickpeas to a large bowl, mix well then add the melted coconut oil & water. Combine thoroughly & leave to sit for 5 minutes.
- Mix again & add the chickpeas, if there is any liquid left at the bottom of the bowl keep mixing until it is absorbed.
- Decant into your tin & smooth to an even 4cm thick layer.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes then turn out onto a flat tray & bake for a final 5-10 minutes bottom side up to crisp up. Leave to cool on a rack then cut into pieces.
- Use within 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.