I don’t always snack but when I’m out and about I always like to have something sustaining in my bag should hunger strike.
I love to use tigernuts as a naturally gluten, grain and nut free base for these energy balls as their high resistant starch content makes them super satisfying, as well as inherently sweet. Paired with the gorgeous tropical matcha blend by Primrose Hill Teas, these little morsels are a fabulous mid morning or afternoon pick me up, and definitely my current favourite.
If you can’t find the tropical matcha these will work just as well with a regular, high quality powder, and for a little tropical twist swap out half of the dates for dried mango soaked in a little boiling water for 5 minutes before using.
Makes 12-16 balls depending on their size
- 1 cup tigernut flakes (I use The Tigernut Company)
- 3/4 cup pitted soft dates
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons Primrose Hill Tea tropical matcha powder
- Place the tigernut flakes into a food processor, pulsing a few times to break them down into slightly smaller pieces.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until you have a well combined, uniform dough.
- Roll into small balls, placing them into the fridge or freezer to firm up slightly.
- Keep refrigerated and use with 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.