- Prep in 15 minutes + 4 hours freezing
Here in the UK we had a glimpse of soaring summer temperatures last week and that got me thinking about heady weekend afternoons spent lazing in the sunshine, ice cream in hand.
Now I am hugely pleased that we now have much better dairy free alternatives to enjoy if we choose, however making your own is always going to be my choice as even though they’re natural, these products still tend to contain a good whack of sugar.
So here I’ve combined 2 of my favourite plant based products – the amazing premium açai purée (and for anyone still wondering you say it as-aye-ee) from Boa Vida Açai, and the scrummy hemp milk from Good Hemp Food.
Açai is naturally very bitter, it tastes similar to a really good quality dark chocolate, and this sings of it’s incredible antioxidant content (a valuable addition to our diets when we’re spending time in the sun to protect our cells from sun damage!). Personally I am one of savoury tastes so I find the natural flavour perfect, however you could easily blend in some extra cinnamon or a little banana to sweeten the flavour.
And that’s not skipping over my adoration for hemp, but to avoid repeating myself check out this post to hear all of my hemp-centric musings.
- Makes 6 lollies
- Dairy & Sugar Free
- Deliciously Refreshing
- Add 3/4 of the hemp milk to a bowl or jug and whisk in the vanilla powder, pour into your lolly moulds filling them a quarter of the way. Pop into the freezer for 45 minutes.
- 10 minutes before those 45 minutes are up take your açai out of the freezer, give the blocks a whack on the side of a worktop to break so you can open the packets. Roughly chop into pieces and add to a high speed blender with the remaining hemp milk, the cinnamon and banana if using.
- Take your lolly moulds out of the freezer, add the açai layer, then pop them back in for about 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining hemp milk layer to finish, pop in your sticks and leave to freeze completely for 2-3 hours.
You can just do these in 2 layers if you want but I think they look awesome with the stripes!