- Prep in 10 minutes
- Cook in 17 minutes
There’s something about the smell of warming spices that just sings of Christmas, snuggling inside away from the wintry chill & generally being super happy & cosy.
Now I’m definitely not one of those people who starts counting down to the next festive season on January 2nd BUT there is something lovely about this time of year which I thoroughly enjoy making the most of.
And obviously because it’s me there will always be an element of food involved in such celebrations!
So yes I have called upon all the culinary elements that bring the promise of warm tidings, new socks & roaring fires, muddled them together in my usual gluten free, dairy free & sugar free ways & come up with the MOST delectable twist on an afternoon snack or quick & healthy make ahead breakfast.
By opting for chestnut purée & a little whole fresh fruit as the wet ingredients the nutritional profile of these is poles apart from something you could get in a shop, & indeed will be far more balanced than many of the recipes you see which rely on dried fruits, honey or syrups to bind them together.
Additionally you’ll note that I use equal quantities of nuts & oats – again this boosts the protein & beneficial fat elements as opposed to the recipe ending up pretty carbohydrate heavy.
But I’ll leave that there because otherwise we’ll head off down a rabbit hole of nutritious waffle when all you really want is this recipe!
Happy baking everyone (& if you’re wondering I’m a size 6/7 for the socks 😉 )
- Makes 10-12 Bars
- Gluten, Dairy & Sugar Free
- High Fibre & Protein
- Family Friendly
- 200g Organico french chestnut purée
- 1 apple
- 1 orange
- 1 cup jumbo oats (gluten free if necessary)
- 1 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Preheat your oven to 185C, line a loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Add the oats, cranberries, pistachios & spices to a bowl, then zest the orange & add this too. Mix well.
- Blend the chestnut purée, cored & roughly chopped apple with the juice of 1/2 your zested orange until smooth.
- Add wet to dry mixing until everything is well incorporated.
- Transfer to your lined tin & bake for 15-17 minutes until firm to the touch & your kitchen smells like a Christmas market.
- Lift out onto a wire rack & leave to cool for at least 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- Use within 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.