I literally LOVE the versatility of chickpea flour, it’s a wonderful source of plant based protein and fibre, it’s also naturally gluten free and has the most incredible flavour.
Due to the fibre it also holds itself together really well so these require no additional binding ingredients as you would with a gluten free grain flour. I think they make for the best breakfast or brunch dish, but will equally make a sensational accompaniment to a soup or stew for dipping.
The fillings are entirely your own domain, I give some suggestions below but feel free to experiment with your own favourites.
- 200g chickpea flour (I use Doves Farm Freee Foods)
- 300ml water
- 1 tablespoon black onion seeds
- 2 spring onions
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsley (you could use coriander too)
- Pinch of salt & a few grinds of black pepper
TO FILL: Absolutely anything you fancy!
Here I’ve used a couple of handfuls of wild rocket, some organic broccoli sprouts, a couple of spoons of vegan pesto, apple slices, avocado and tomatoes. Cheese, houmous, roasted vegetables, other leaves or some cooked chicken slices work wonderfully too.
- Mix your chickpea flour and water in a bowl, whisking until there are no lumps. Leave to sit for 1 -24 hours (pop it in the fridge if leaving for a while).
- Finely chop the herbs and springs onions then whisk through the pancake batter with the seasoning and black onion seeds.
- Heat a good non-stick pan (I use The Original Green Pan) on a medium flame then add ~1/3 cup of your batter and use a spatula to spread it to an even thickness.
- Leave to cook gently until you can slide the spatula around the edges and flip it over (about 1-1 1/2 minutes). Cook for another minute then flip back and add your fillings.
- Fold over and after it’s warmed through on one side for a minute or so, flip to the other for 1 more minute before serving .