- Serves 2
- Prep in 5 minutes
- Cook in 6 minutes
I would never choose waffles for breakfast. Or indeed for brunch for that matter. Seems slightly odd to say when I’m evidently about to share a recipe for exactly these but bear with me….
If I were to meet friends for a leisurely weekend mid-morning meal & there was a choice of say waffles or eggs with avocado I would always go for the eggs as in that situation the waffles tend to be overly sweet, paired with fruit & generally not particularly sustaining for the rather over excitable & bouncy amongst us (basically I’m hungry again an hour later/before we even left the blinking restaurant!).
So what have I done?
Well OBVIOUSLY I’ve made up my own & not only do they keep you satisfied until lunch, but on occasion until dinner too…..
So the key here is I’ve chosen lovely bright, flavourful roasted carrots (almost caramel-esque in their underlying flavour) instead of the classic banana, added a hint of herby-ness & classic peppery seasoning, dumped the need for an extra sweetener entirely, & then used tapioca flour as my binding agent.
This is not only naturally gluten & grain free but also exceptionally fibre rich so aids in maintaining that satiated feeling after you’ve eaten them. It also makes them lower in fat & nut free.
Now of course you do need a waffle iron for these, & I must admit I held off from purchasing 1 for a long while….all I can say is they’re less expensive than you think, far more compact & easy to hide away than you think, less washing up than using your other kitchen utensils (a quick wipe once cool if needed or not at all!) & MORE FUN THAN YOU COULD HAVE EVER IMAGINED.
So yes, I’m a fan, & if you come round to mine for breakfast we’ll be having waffles.
- Gluten, Grain, Dairy & Sugar Free
- High Fibre
- Family Friendly
- Simple & Delicious
- 3/4 cup carrot purée (roughly chop 1-2 large carrots, roast in a preheated 200C oven for 25-30 mins, add to a food processor & blend whilst still warm)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons hemp or olive oil
- Add your eggs, chosen oil & carrot purée to the bowl of a food processor, blitz to combine.
Then add the rest of your ingredients blending until smooth (scrape down the sides a couple of times & just make sure there are no sneaky lumps of tapioca flour hiding).
- Add half to your preheated waffle iron, smoothing it out from the centre towards the edges. Don’t be tempted to overfill it!
- Leave to cook for 5-6 minutes then keep warm in the oven or serve straight away with your favourite accompaniments.