- Serves 3-4
- Prep in 5 minutes (+ 24-48 hours fermenting)
Including more fermented foods in our diet is a fantastic way to support ongoing optimal health as the probiotic bacteria contained within them act as an integral part of our immune system.
Saying this however some can come with a pretty hefty price tag making daily inclusion a significant/unrealistic investment which is why I always encourage people to make their own if they can.
Now this is not to say you need to pack in the day job and stay home staring at bubbling jars forever more, and if you haven’t tried fermenting before then this incredibly simple recipe is a fantastic place to start. The ingredients are minimal, the effort minor but the result is divine….sounds like a pretty good state of affairs to me!
- Great For Gut Health & Immune Support
- Super Simple
- 5 Ingredients or Less
- Family Friendly
Probiotics totalling 100 billion micro-organisms (either a powder form or use capsules and open them) I use 2 of the OptiBac Every Day Max
Optional: vanilla powder, cinnamon, fresh berries
You will also need a glass bowl, wooden spoon and a muslin or cheesecloth
- If using the coconut milk place in the fridge overnight then carefully open and remove the thick cream from the top adding it to the bowl. Reserve the watery portion to use in smoothies, ice creams etc. If using the cream just add to the bowl, leave to come to room temperature.
- Add the probiotics and mix with the wooden spoon until smooth.
- Cover with the cloth and leave in a warm spot out of direct sunlight for 24 hours. Check at this point – depending on the temperature of the room it may be ready or it might need up to 48 hours to develop a characteristic tang and thickened texture. It should not be fizzy or ‘funky’ in any way however.
- Add your vanilla or cinnamon powders if you are using, or muddle through the fresh berries.
- Decant to a jar with a tight fitting lid, refrigerate and use within 3 days.