As you may know I am on an endless mission to avoid food waste.
I am also my mother’s daughter & CANNOT put new food in my fridge without taking everything out, giving it all a good clean, re-lining my salad drawer etc & so come the end of the week I always end up with a couple of bits that it would pain me to return to my lovely sparkly refrigerator because they’re a little on the limp side….
So I have a play & whip up something tasty with them instead!
On the list this week we had 1 carrot, a 1/4 of an apple & an egg which to me sang pancakes. And thus this lovely, simple & overwhelming satisfying plate was born (to clarify there were more on the plate, I’d just devoured them by the point of photography!)
A making process of moments, an ease to freeze, & a vessel on which to sail your toppings of choice.
Serves 1-2 depending on accompaniments & hunger level!
- 1 carrot
- 1 organic egg
- 1 tablespoon Buy Whole Foods Online organic walnut pieces
- 2 heaped tablespoons Buy Whole Foods Online tapioca flour
- 1/4 apple – chopped
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon & 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- Grate the carrot & add to a frying pan with 1/4 cup water. Cover with a lid & leave to steam for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile add your apple, walnuts & spices to a bowl.
- Remove the lid from your pan, stir the carrots & allow any remaining liquid to evaporate off.
- Tip the carrot into the bowl & leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Crack in your egg, mix well, then add the bicarbonate of soda & tapioca flour. Mix to a thick-ish batter. Add a little more tapioca flour if runny.
- Wipe the pan if the carrots have left a caramelly residue, then melt the coconut oil & spoon in 2 tablespoons worth of batter per pancakes.
- Cook gently for 1-2 minutes until firm enough to flip, then continue to cook for a further minute or so until springy but firm when pressed. Repeat with the remaining batter & serve with your chosen accompaniments.
- If not using straight away leave to cool then either refrigerate for use within 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Warm in a 200C oven for 3-4 minutes to serve or simply have cool.