- Serves 4
- Prep in 30 minutes + 1-12 hours marinating time for the chicken
- Cook in 30 minutes
So instead why not sneak them into the ‘bread’ element of what here is pretty much a rework of the classic kebab (but so far from its original cousin we probably shouldn’t mention them in the same sentence…!)
There is also the great benefit that whilst dosing up on an extra serving of veggies without even trying we get taste & textural elements to these wraps that eliminate the need for binding ingredients that gluten free alternatives would usually need to include.
They are also incredibly easy & speedy to make, last well in the fridge, don’t break when bent & folded & did I mention they were delicious…….
- Family Friendly
- Prep Ahead - Lasts 5 Days
- High Protein, Low Carb
- Nutritionally Epic!
For the wraps: 1 cup cauliflower rice, 1 large organic egg, 1/3 cup ground almonds, 1 heaped tablespoon ground flaxseed, pinch of salt + plenty of black pepper
- 400g organic pasture raised chicken breast
1 red onion
2 cloves garlic
2-3cm each fresh ginger root + fresh turmeric (use 1 teaspoon ground if you can’t find fresh turmeric)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 sprigs rosemary
1 large handful fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt, plenty of black pepper
Optional – 1 teaspoon chilli flakes or 1/2 red chilli (adjust the level of spice to your tastes)
Make your chicken mix first so it can marinate whilst you whip up the wraps, you can do this 24 hours in advance, or just leave it for an hour.
- Roughly chop the onion & garlic then add to a food processor with the rest of the ingredients bar the chicken. Blend until you have a relatively smooth paste.
- Dice the chicken & add to the food processor, blending until you have a smooth mix & everything is well mixed together.
- Transfer to a dish & leave to sit in the fridge for at least an hour but up to 24 to let those flavours develop.
- Steam the cauliflower rice for 3 minutes (covered in a sieve over a pan of boiling water if you don’t have a steamer) before pressing any excess water out (wrap in a towel & squeeze or press in a sieve using a spoon ). Combine with the rest of the wrap ingredients in a bowl, beat for 20 seconds & leave to sit for 5 minutes.
- Give it a final mix, if there’s lots of excess liquid add an extra tablespoon of ground almonds.
Spoon onto your tray & spread into ovals, bake towards the lower part of the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden & firm to the touch.
Which gives you plenty of time to grab your chicken out of the fridge! You can just bake the mix or you can seal the kofte in a pan first to give more of a crisp outer. If you want to do this heat a frying pan with 1 teaspoon of avocado on a medium-high flame & pinch off tablespoon sized pieces of your mix, roll into balls or sausage shapes then cook quickly in batches just so the outsides colour.
Transfer these to your other baking tray & continue with the rest of the mix. Or just go straight from rolling to the baking tray.
Bake in the oven for 10 minutes if they’ve been sealed or 12-14 minutes if not.
Both can be left to cool & kept in the fridge for use within 5 days, a nice warm through in the oven before serving is lovely but they’re equally delicious had cool.