- Serves 2
- Prep in 10 minutes
- Cook in 15 minutes
Now of course there may be cases where people truly don’t enjoy tofu & that is absolutely fine, but I would never want this to be because they hadn’t had it in a way that truly reflects how wonderful a thing it can be.
Due to it’s relatively innocuous flavour tofu is a brilliant backdrop for spices. And these in themselves are exceptional additions to our diets due to their medicinal & health enhancing actions. When choosing a tofu product please always make sure to purchase a non-GMO & organic option, & check the ingredients as it can be made in a couple of ways – 1 is using nigari (a natural magnesium salt from seawater) to coagulate it into blocks, & the other is through the addition of chemicals which we wouldn’t want.
Concerns over soy consumption due to its phytoestrogenic actions would lead me to advise 1 portion a week for those on omnivorous diets, or 2-3 times a week for someone following a vegan regime. Also edamame, organic tofu, tempeh & fresh miso would get the green light but soy yoghurts, milks, desserts & proteins would not.
- High Protein Breakfast
- Plant Powered
- Super Anti-Inflammatory
- Prep Ahead - Lasts 3 days
280g organic firm tofu
1 large celery stick
1 small red onion
2cm each fresh ginger, turmeric & red chilli
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 garlic clove
1/2 cup organic coconut milk
Pinch salt + plenty of black pepper
1/2 tablespoon cold pressed avocado oil or coconut oil
To serve – salad leaves & cherry tomatoes.
- Place your tofu block in a kitchen towel, wrap & press down with a plate to squeeze some of the liquid out.
- Meanwhile finely dice the onion & celery & grate the ginger, garlic & turmeric. Add to a pan with the oil & gently sweat for 5 minutes. Add the dry spices, mix well & cook for 2 minutes.
- Crumble the pressed tofu into the pan with your fingers, mix everything together & add the coconut milk. Cover with a lid & simmer for 8 mins then uncover & allow some of the liquid to evaporate off so you’re left with a little sauce but it’s not wet.
- Serve or cool & refrigerate using within 3 days.